Mindfulness or mindlessness? - I'm confused!

lalo's picture

Average: 4.7 (3 votes)

Almost all spiritual paths advise us to abandon the mind, to be mindless, not to fix our center and sense of "I" in the mind nor be identified with it, to reduce our tendency to analyze things intellectually.

But in the same time, we are also advised to be mindfulness.

These Mindlessness and mindfulness seem to me contradictive. How can I be in the desired state of "no mind" and be fully in the mind in the same time? Aren't they mutually exclusive?

mika's picture

Mindfulness means to be present and aware

I think your confusion is due to language.

By mindfulness it is not meant to be in the mind, not to think and act from the mind but rather to be present and aware.

mika | Wed, 12/16/2009 - 11:23
Annie's picture

The pitfalls of language

The philosopher Wittgenstein said that most errors are due to language. This is especially true in the case of spirituality that anyway lives between language, what can be pointed by language and beyond. Ambiguity, double meanings, connotations, literal meaning versus implied meaning - these are all pitfalls we fall in so much, sometimes it is our mind that deliberately makes us fall in them when they serve its purpose, sometimes it is because we are not attentive enough and usually because we do not understand fully.

Another example of a common misunderstanding concerned with language is the term "self realization" which is not the understanding of the self or fulfillment of self.

Annie | Wed, 12/16/2009 - 21:10