To all members of Guru's Feet- an extremely important letter sent to Admins

anony17's picture

Average: 4.6 (9 votes)

Dearest Friends,

This is an edited copy of a letter sent to Administrators of Guru's feet...

I would love to have your views...

Blocking Options

Dear Sir(s)/ Madam(s),
Firstly, I congratulate you on the excellent site you have created for bringing the world of spiritual aspirants together...
I have been a teacher of meditation for nearly two decades and initially considered this site at an opportune moment to invite my students to read and interact here...

But I am saddened to say that I was wrong. Each of us has a purpose when we put up writings for others to view- and at many times I, as someone who has been posting for a while on the internet, like to retain the option of allowing/disallowing comments...

With due respects, I have the following to submit to you...

Would you consider an option of:
1. blocking specific users from commenting on a user's blogs

2. deleting chosen comments from a user's blogs by the user

3. providing an option for comments like 'allow/ disallow comments'

This is because there are certain users who have a compulsive addiction to commenting on every blog whether their comments are welcome or not. Their unwarranted and unwelcome comments take away from the intention of the blogs posted. I had to in fact delete entire blogs and re-post them on a number of occasions, to clear out the irrelevant comments that I saw were leading readers into unintended confusion...

Such users have caused quite a few people to drop away after a while from Guru's feet. There are some users who seem to have made the blogsite their personal dominion. The latest comments on a blog of Dattaswami2 by some users seemed as if the commentators have decided what should be posted on your site and what should not.

Are they empowered administrators of Guru's Feet? If so, then this place is not for all seekers at all- but for a chosen 'disciples' of Nisargadatta Maharaj- albeit misdirected ones!

You have no issues with someone posting a popular forum topic 'What the fuck does Nisargadatta....'. Good for the people who are discussing their views there but I would love to know how does this language, which can be offensive enough to some people from many spiritual traditions of the world to 'switch off' and move away from your excellent site, albeit because of their own prejudices, reflect upon Guru's feet...? Even you,the Admin have at one place (Commenting on pro- cons of Gurus) requested commentators to maintain a modicum of decent language. What then, constitutes 'decent language' here, and where do you draw the line? Tomorrow, if someone posts more items filled with such language, how do you intend dealing with it?

I was under the assumption that this site is to let people grow at their own pace sharing all they believed as important on their spiritual journeys, without being 'instructed' and judged by people who they do not seem to have an option to block out in the first place...

You know, some commentators and their opinions are extremely harmful to newcomers and seekers, who come upon this kind of a site for guidance. Such 'gurus' wish to force everyone into believing only the philosophy that they find 'true'...

Do you have any process to whet people being posted as gurus or is it a free for all?

This takes a lot away from this place of spiritual sharing...

The world is filled with different kinds of people who have so many varied beliefs, it seems that in case you continue to allow particular commentators/ users to bulldoze their ideas upon your subscribers, you are in a way endorsing their intolerance to others' viewpoints.

And that, I cannot believe is the intention of a nobly conceived site like Guru's Feet...

I would be happy to receive a reply from you.

Love and Blessings,

Deepam

sharonk's picture

I agree

I agree with the arguments about those who flood the blogs with the same serial comments. And then they sometimes develop their own discussion in the comments that is not relevant to the original post.

Yet, readers mainly read the original post and only scan briefly the comments and look for something that catches their eyes. I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the comments.

sharonk | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 08:31
mula's picture

highjack

You have a point. I sometimes feel gurusfeet is hijacked by some serial chatterers and i'm a frequent flyer here so it bothers me.

I would say limit the number of comments of a user per hour, for start. I don't think control over the comments by the OP is a good idea - it will prevent any genuine free discussion based on different views which I at least see as a uniqueness of this website.

mula | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 09:18
Phroggy's picture

~

"This is because there are certain users who have a compulsive addiction to commenting on every blog whether their comments are welcome or not."

If that were in fact true, I would suggest that you recognize that you don't own the forum on which you publicly blog, and your preferences as to who responds is actually irrelevant. However, there clearly is no such user who responds to every blog since the overwhelming majority of your own blogs receive no comments at all.

"Their unwarranted and unwelcome comments take away from the intention of the blogs posted."

That raises the issue of what that intention is. Clearly, anyone can read your blog regardless of how many responses there are and the content of those responses. I can only conclude your intention is to be agreed with, which strikes me as rather childish.

"Such users have caused quite a few people to drop away after a while from Guru's feet. There are some users who seem to have made the blogsite their personal dominion."

I have no idea how many people may have left the forum, and I'm not sure you do either. However, it has become quite clear that you consider this forum your own dominion. You outpost every member here 50 to 1 and the forum has become almost unusable to me. One day there were 8 pages of your posts, effectively obscuring anyone else's contributions. I no longer bother to read anyone's blog anymore, and only read new comments. How ironic that you whine about others taking over the forum and then whine about the quality of the few responses you get to your endless blogs. Who exactly do you think you are?

"Are they empowered administrators of Guru's Feet? If so, then this place is not for all seekers at all- but for a chosen 'disciples' of Nisargadatta Maharaj- albeit misdirected ones!"

And so it seems clear that the issue is that you disagree with Omkaradatta. Perhaps you've lumped me in there too, although I'm not a follower of Niz. If he agreed with everything you said, I'm quite sure there would be no issue at all. How disingenuous.

"You know, some commentators and their opinions are extremely harmful to newcomers and seekers, who come upon this kind of a site for guidance. Such 'gurus' wish to force everyone into believing only the philosophy that they find 'true'..."

Again, the issue is that you disagree. If you happened to share that "philosophy" you would see it as a boon to all seekers. Aside from that, how does a follower of Nizargadatta Maharaj qualify as "extremely harmful" to anyone? Is it because he is not YOUR enlightened master?

"The world is filled with different kinds of people who have so many varied beliefs, it seems that in case you continue to allow particular commentators/ users to bulldoze their ideas upon your subscribers, you are in a way endorsing their intolerance to others' viewpoints."

If the Admin does not dismiss your complaints, then we will know that they are endorsing intollerance to other's viewpoints and allowing you to bulldoze your ideas upon this forum with impunity.

Phroggy | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 10:27
Omkaradatta's picture

Maybe there should be...

Maybe there should be either an 'allow/disallow comments' or a different option that's neither a blog nor a quotes section, but allowing people to post longer 'quotes'.

The trouble with the latter: It's a potential copyright violation. Long posts of copyrighted material should be posted only with permission.

The 'allow/disallow comments' seems like a decent idea though, from here.

http://www.omkaradatta.info

Omkaradatta | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 11:18
george's picture

you are right

deepamjee - I totally agree with you about the problem, I am not sure limiting the comments is the right solution.

george | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 20:29
Omkaradatta's picture

Another important issue...

A new user appeared here recently who's almost now on top as far as 'karma points', and is blanketing the front page daily with blog postings.

Maybe the number of bloggings allowed per day should be limited, to prevent a single user from filling the forum with their own materials in a short period of time. It's a bandwidth issue, and seems here it should concern forum staff at least as much.

Omkaradatta | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 20:49
Phroggy's picture

~

Somebody new showed up just today and posted a quote every 4 minutes for over 3 hours. I wish I could say this kind of 'forum spamming' is out of the ordinary, but on the contrary, it seems to be becoming established proceedure here now as there are about three others who often do the same. Gurusfeet is destined to become an informational site (with much questionable information) without any discussion going on. If that's what the owner wants for this site, then that's perfect, but I'd be a little surprised.

Phroggy | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 21:32
Omkaradatta's picture

The whole game...

Almost the whole human game, the whole kit 'n kaboodle, can be summed up by this short phrase:

"Look at ME! Notice me! Please, please, please!??"

Dontcha think?

Omkaradatta | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 21:49
Phroggy's picture

~

True, and so you're saying starting a blog is more 'visible' than commenting on one?

Right about now, folks are looking at this discussion and thinking how it's just childish ego and 'serial chatter', but it's this stuff that needs to be noticed if folks are interested in becoming at least conscious. Of course, everybody who's unconscious thinks they're conscious, so I suggest staying open to the possibility.

Phroggy | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 22:38
Michael ji Ramaprasad's picture

Let me guess lol

"A new user appeared here recently who's almost now on top as far as 'karma points', and is blanketing the front page daily with blog postings."

Can anyone say Dattaswami2

Michaelji Ramaprasad

Wú Míng(nameless) in truth

Michael ji Rama... | Wed, 01/28/2009 - 22:12
tiru's picture

Jesus

Jesus, the very same people I believe you are talking about are doing the very same things you are talking about also here.

Apart of being brutal (these are the same ones who chased out santthosh kumar and madan_gautam), vocal (which as always turns to be the opposite of quality), and amusingly posing as teachers and realized (while reflecting very novice understanding and restless ego-maniac behavior), they sometimes handle private discussions in comments on blogs of others deviating completely from the original subject.

tiru | Tue, 01/27/2009 - 22:53
Phroggy's picture

~

As I say, stay open to the possibility that nothing you think you see is actually true.

Phroggy | Wed, 01/28/2009 - 01:13
Omkaradatta's picture

People are apparently complaining about this 'serial chatter' on blogs, so I'm stopping. No point in stirring the pot, although I'm not sure when "social interaction" became such a terrible thing. It's probably the quantity of posts... people feel inadequate or overwhelmed.

Omkaradatta | Wed, 01/28/2009 - 11:51
Phroggy's picture

~

The quantity of posts? Deepam can post 100 times a day and everybody loves him. The issue is that folks are playing games with their minds here and they want to keep playing those games. It takes a lot of work to stay unconscious.

Phroggy | Wed, 01/28/2009 - 20:07
Bercano's picture

...~*~It's probably the

...~*~It's probably the quantity of posts... people feel inadequate or overwhelmed.~*~....Well amongst anything else that was tossed here, to muse upon, possibly even consider....I'd just Say that PERCEPTION of what may or may NOT be, a Worth while a Post...is just THAT( more often a simple what the Hell/Fukkk did U mean might even benefit??)....and yeah Know, quite frankly if any seeker/whomever is gone have peeing contest, cos Now they Feel Overwhelmed, Inadequate, ....then I would recommend, to SIMPLY Not Read ( a click NEXT option sorta thing yes??)
;)

When Self got sick of his saints
and bored with guru's
he created me ...
to LAUGH at Everythingggg

they took seriously.

B-Self, Eternal Infinite Sri Fukkamee Swami

Bercano | Fri, 08/07/2009 - 01:39
madan_gautam's picture

Love and Blessings,

Dear Deepam Ji
I do agree that there is problem in some area and it has to be taken care of by the admin.
But let me tell you that guru's feet is a dedicated site by the team of Spiritual people and they all are also in the path of Spirituality as most of we are ,and of course they all are at much higher level in comparison to most of us.
They are improving it through our feed backs,but since it is being run by like we people without any financial support and other outer help and the whole show is run by them at their own,so it may not be able by them to add so much options.
Second, Yes there are problems some of them among you specified and rest are others also.But I would request you to let other fellow to do what they want and you just concentrate on your target/goal.
Yes there have been differences among the people and it will always remain so, but as our Rishi,Muni used to discuss their experiences in a friendly environment and used to pay respect to each other,though they used to be just opposite in their findings and experiences,same we should.
At the same time I would once again request all my brothers and sisters to respect each other and their sentiments also.
One should not use harsh or letting down attitude as then action reaction starts.
I agree that in some instance it happened and happening but as we are here to share and express our views, but at the same time i would emphasis that one should not always talk on the basis of books,theories of others but also on the bases of personal experiences.
The sharing always should not be intellectual with big big worlds but also on practical and self experience.
The problem is there and will remain always,not here but every where and these problems force us to find out the solution by our self.
You have written well and most of the points are genuine and needs attentions from all of us.
Being a Spiritual family here, only we can solve our problems with positive collective efforts.
Last I would also appeal to all of you to contribute in positive way, so that we can make this great site more strong.More over the people/members who can contribute financially are also invited for help/donate to this site( if admn.differ with me,then they can delete it.) .
Let it be a positive &collective effort for all concern's of each and every one's issues.
And at last why i taken this heading ?
It is from your last words which you have written & when you have give your love and blessings to all,then i think each and every one will regard this and respect this.
OM

madan_gautam | Wed, 01/28/2009 - 13:50
admin's picture

A solution

Dear beloved ones,

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions.

One of the main purposes of GurusFeet.com is to be a platform for free discussions among people of different faiths, belief systems and spiritual paths. Imposing any sort of control by the blogger over the comments will damage this principle. Still, we do think that commentators should exercise an appropriate personal sensitivity and mutual respect when they issue comments and not deviate from the original subject of the blog post.

We do believe that it is our duty to regulate the flow and rate of posting of content and comments in the website in order to allow a fair opportunity and equal dominance for all. Consequently, we have implemented in the last 24 hours a mechanism which limits the number of comments and content of each type a user can post per hour. We hope this new mechanism will solve most of the problems mentioned here.

We do ask again everyone to use the opportunity when spiritual conflicts arise to exercise presence, mutual respect and moderation.

With deep love and service,
GurusFeet.com Team

admin | Wed, 01/28/2009 - 23:52
anony17's picture

Thank you

Dear Sir(s)/ Madam(s),
I am sure that your sage advice would help in providing the opportunity for marking out the future course this site takes towards the highest ideals...
And with your suggested restraints to be exercised by the posters/ commentators, I believe this forum discussion/ debate can rest its case...
I am sure that you would see to it that you guide us from time to time- through personal and public messages- and especially deal with the individuals who overstep the 'appropriate personal sensitivity and mutual respect when they issue comments' as you so aptly wrote, with a firm yet gentle hand ...
Love and Blessings,
Deepam

anony17 | Thu, 01/29/2009 - 05:27
joshoda's picture

EVERYTHING IS FAIR IN LOVE WAR AND DREAM

There are times when I hesitate to drop lines in Gurusfeet coz I feel I am a Somnambulist trying to awake another somnambulist in my dream of dreams... .........But the irony is there are many of my kind here....But how can two somnambulist awake each other?........The only possibility that I see between two somnambulist or many somnambulist altogether is that they can collide and dissipate their energy....But yet I have a hope that in my dream walk and in my dream talk I can find someone who is awake and give me a nice hit on my head or a strong somnambulist that coliding with whom I canjust come in sense…….so I still dare to drop a dream like comment

I feel it is because of our clinging to certain gurus or certain beliefs the idea of blocking someone has arose....If a blind person is incapable to describe light according to the definition of another blind person then who is to be blamed?…………..And if some blind person likes it to describe light in several ways or like to comment on definition of another blind person according to his dream like understanding of light then what is wrong?………
At the end of the day all of us thirst for light and thats why we are here and thats what hold us together . WE ARE FAMILY.

joshoda | Fri, 07/31/2009 - 10:42
happy's picture

You have a unique voice

joshoda, please do not hesitate. I find your feedbacks and insights most helpful and unique. Though I do not always agree with your views they are certainly helpful and seem to come from a pure egoless place.

Please do not hesitate.

The reason for the collisions is simple, it can only happen in one single case: when we unconsciously and out of desperation develop an attachment to our personal spiritual path and forget that our path can only be a matter of belief and speculation and thus we start regarding it as the absolute truth and consequently the other paths as erroneous because we analyze the other beliefs through the glasses of our. Then ego enters the picture and you have these collisions and fights.

happy | Fri, 07/31/2009 - 10:58
Phroggy's picture

Then ego enters the picture

Ego "enters the picture" from the very beginning. The search itself is driven by ego. The opinions, attrations, aversions, what and who is liked and disliked, what is believed to be true or false, all driven by ego. Recognizing that one does not have an egoless perspective and cannot be somehow unattached in his search, is part of the clarity that most seekers imagine to be searching for. It's okay, we don't have to condemn each other for doing the best we can do.

Phroggy | Sat, 08/01/2009 - 06:01
Omkaradatta's picture

Notes on the ego

Ego is always seen in 'someone else', or by 'someone else'.

The ego is "someone/something else".

The absence of 'else' (other, otherness) is the absence of ego.

--> Self co-arises with 'other', always.

--> Ego sees ego (perceiver is perceived).

--> Reality is synchronous ('what is' is 'what is', now -- no 'else').

Omkaradatta | Sat, 08/01/2009 - 06:39
Phroggy's picture

Ego is always seen in 'someone else', or by 'someone else'.

Yeah, identity is implied in the perception of otherness, and has no significance otherwise, but it is not always seen in or by this otherness. Otherness just establishes a context in which the concept can thrive, but one is most intimately familiar with the 'me' idea and all of it's implications. Ones own apparent identity can be seen because it is not ones Self.

Phroggy | Sat, 08/01/2009 - 19:37
Omkaradatta's picture

This is only so...

"Ones own apparent identity can be seen because it is not ones Self."

This is only provisionally so.

Awareness is absolutely synchronous, i.e. thoughts arising now, one after the other.

There's no space for a "me" to be in that, no room for an identity.

Events occur, one after the other, in succession.

In order to be happening to a 'someone', that 'someone' would have to be outside the stream of events somehow, outside the thought "me" arising.

One can label awareness "Self", but there is nothing outside awareness from which to define awareness.

With no outside, no inside.

Omkaradatta | Sat, 08/01/2009 - 21:33
Phroggy's picture

Say what?

I'm not sure what you're saying. I wasn't implying the presence of an actual 'me' or an identity, only the appearance of such. The fact that it appears and can be observed demonstrates that it is the observed rather than the observer.
Obviously, there is room for an identity in the thoughts themselves.

Phroggy | Sun, 08/02/2009 - 02:13
genep's picture

karma points

I cannot help but agree with all those
who write only truths.

the only thing I'm certain, however,
is that all these problems
will only vanish
if I'm BANNED

-- preferably before I get too many karma points

-- really Really

genep | Tue, 08/04/2009 - 19:05
Bercano's picture

Karma points....righttttttttttttt...LOLLLLL

now that, MUST REALLY REALLY Wheally mean something....if NOT just for the Ego...rools on floor laughingggg

When Self got sick of his saints
and bored with guru's
he created me ...
to LAUGH at Everythingggg

they took seriously.

B-Self, Eternal Infinite Sri Fukkamee Swami

Bercano | Fri, 08/07/2009 - 01:51