Build your own prayer - a guide
Praying is a powerful tool on the spiritual path. Like meditation, it enables to transcend the mind, connect in higher dimensions, access the supernatural, uncover dimensions which cannot be explored by using words and operate from a center other than the mind, some call it the heart.
The most handy option for a prayer is the traditional fixed prayers of the various religions and sects. Many of these ready-made prayers are quite good and powerful but many people find it difficult to genuinely connect with dictated versions of prayers while in order for the power of a prayer to transform the potential into actuality, you, the invocator must be completely connected with the prayer, otherwise it will be like mumbling any other text. This is because what counts is your mental disposition when saying the prayer more than the words themselves.
Many find at some point that they can better relate to a personally-tailored version of a prayer. Such a prayer when developed properly can serve wonderfully in opening the gates to the beyond.
The following are basic instructions for designing a personal tailored prayer. The instructions are based on various ancient sources and experience of many years in the field.
- Phrase your prayer in present tense, in actual manner, not in a future wishful mode.
- Make sure the essence of the prayer is gratitude, not requesting. There may be requests in a prayer if you like but they cannot be the main theme. A prayer which invokes from the disposition of lacking - of what I don't have rather from the realization of thankfulness of what I have will not be effective in enabling the connection with the beyond.
- The prayer should be preceded by some time of meditation. This will pacify the mind, prevent mental noise and sharpen your presence and thus make your prayer much more effective. It is strongly advisable to meditate while focusing on the space between your eye brows (3rd eye).
- Before you attend to the praying, inspect for any mental objections present in the background of your mind like skepticism, fear of disappointments etc. Do not try to eliminate these obstructions, rather observe and accept them and then ignore them and they will go by themselves.
- If you declare any commitment as part of your prayer you must be 101% sure you are able in all circumstances to fulfill your commitments and indeed make sure afterwords that you fulfill these commitments.
- Write a clean version of your prayer after corrections and changes - a version you are completely feel at ease with. Having a readable clean version and feeling comfortable with it will enable your consciousness to focus on the essence rather than on the reading itself.
- Most important: Recite the prayer by letting your mouth saying it while YOU are listening to it as if you are the listener and not the speaker. In other words, identify with the listener and not the speaker as you usually do. At first it might be a bit difficult but at some point you will notice that you have entered into that state.
If you meticulously follow these ancient directives (most important are the first and the last), you will see by yourself that your prayers work.
Good luck! :-)